When it comes to Easter, what better way to celebrate than with a delicious AND nutritious Hot Cross Bun? Especially when they’re hot from the oven! But why buy them, when you can bake them instead? Whether you’ve got some free time or you’re just in the mood to procrasti-bake, we’ve got you covered with this healthy hot cross bun recipe so you can indulge without the guilt!
Don’t forget to tag us on instagram and show us your Goodlife At Home Recipes @goodlifehc
2 1/2 cups almond meal
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tbsp mixed spice
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp honey/rice malt syrup/maple syrup
3 eggs (2 for the mixture, 1 for glazing)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dark chocolate, melted (for piping cross)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mixed spice in a medium bowl, stirring well until smooth consistency
3. In a separate bowl coconut oil, maple syrup, 2 eggs and vanilla essence
4. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in raisins
5. Roll mixture into 8 bun shapes and add to baking tray
6. Whisk 1 x remaining egg and brush each bun with a pastry brush to lightly glaze
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15-minutes
9. Add piping cross with melted dark chocolate. If you don’t have a piping bag, cut a small hole in the corner of a zip lock bag and fill with melted chocolate.